Special Services FAQs
Can I get my application expedited?
Should I tip drivers?
Can I make a same day change on my destination?
If my appointment is at 10:00am and I get picked up and brought there at 9:45am why do I have to wait until 11:00am or later for a return ride?
What are coupons?
Can I choose what Vehicle I want to pick me up in?
How long could I be on a vehicle?
Can I bring my pet?
What happens if I'm running late?
- Can I get my application expedited? (Back to Top)
- Yes, there are times where we will expedite the application depending on the medical needs of the passenger requesting the expedition.
- Should I tip drivers? (Back to Top)
- No, drivers are not allowed to accept tips.
- Can I make a same day change on my destination? (Back to Top)
- No, there are no same day changes, only same day cancellations. Because of the large number of riders we transport daily, to change a ride would cause too many late trips, and the service would not run smoothly for everyone else.
- If my appointment is at 10:00am and I get picked up and brought there at 9:45am why do I have to wait until 11:00am or later for a return ride? (Back to Top)
- All pickups need to be scheduled at least an hour from the time you requested to be at your appointment. The reason for this is because at the time of booking we do not know the exact time the driver will be dropping you off at, this is something we can never predict. Therefore in order for us to schedule you in for a return we need to have a time set in the system and due to the high volume of passengers riding the Special service van daily we have to request at least an hour from your appointment request so we can accommodate everyone's needs.
- What are coupons? (Back to Top)
- The MVRTA sells coupon books for either $20 or $40. Each coupon is good for either a $2 or $3 fare.
- Can I choose what Vehicle I want to pick me up in? (Back to Top)
- No. We use two vendors for our overflow passengers. One has vans that look the same as the MVRTA vans and one utilizes black sedans. Because the amount of passengers vary daily, passengers cannot choose what vehicle will come pick them up.
- Shared Ride? (Back to Top)
- Like the bus service, the van service is a shared ride service. This means people may be picked up or dropped off while you are on the van, if you are going to similar destinations.
- How long could I be on a vehicle? (Back to Top)
- The amount of time on a van is dependent on where you are going. The trip will never be longer then what it would take a person who was using our fixed bus route to take that exact trip, while taking into account: walking time to and from a bus stop, waiting time for a bus, in vehicle time and transfer times (if any).
- Can I bring my pet? (Back to Top)
- While service animals are always welcome, pets must be in a carrier and on your lap while they are in the vehicle.
- What happens if I'm running late? (Back to Top)
- If you are out somewhere (the doctor's office is a good example) and think that you will be late for your ride, we ask that you call us as soon as possible. We will put you on a "waitlist," which means that when you are finished with your appointment, you must call us to let us know that you are ready. At that point, we will see if we have any drivers free to come pick you up. This may require you to wait for a bit, as no drivers may be available immediately, but we do guarantee a ride.